Superfoods that have slimming power don’t have to cost a fortune. Many foods that help you lose weight are cheap, readily available and pack a double, or even triple, punch – health benefits plus a skinnier you. Superfoods can encourage weight loss while adding vitamins and minerals that promote heart health, boost brain power and increase energy. Try these 5 simple foods for a thinner — and healthier — you without busting your wallet.
1. Red Tomatoes: The humble tomato is a secret superfood that contains large amounts of the powerful anti-oxidant compound lycopene. Lycopene is the substance that gives tomatoes, their vibrant red color. Studies have shown that lycopene is beneficial in lowering the risk of some kinds of cancers, such as lung and prostate cancer. Some studies have shown that prostate problems in men can be reduced or alleviated with a lycopene rich diet. Tomatoes are inexpensive and naturally low in fat. A diet built around fresh vegetables like tomatoes can help weight loss while giving you an extra health boost.
2. Yogurt: Yogurt is a simple food with powerful effects. Studies have found that people who were trying to lose weight and who included yogurt in their diet lost more pounds and were more successful in keeping them off than those whose diet plans did not include yogurt. The active cultures in yogurt improve digestion and metabolism, and increase immune function in some individuals. Yogurt is a cheap and effective way to foster good health and shed fat. Choose a low-sugar and low-fat brand of yogurt for best results.
3. Grapefruit: Grapefruit is an old standby for dieters. Naturally fat-free and low calorie — did you also know that your old friend the grapefruit can help lower the risk of diabetes? Recent studies have found that regular grapefruit consumption lowered the risk of type 2 diabetes in some individuals. The high vitamin C content of grapefruit can also help strengthen your immune system and improve digestive health. For just pennies, you can slim down and build a healthy future by ditching the usual sugary breakfast cereals and substituting grapefruit.
4. Salmon and sardines: What do these two fish have in common? Salmon and sardines are both loaded with omega-3 fats. Omega-3′s are a proven benefit to heart health. Also available in fish oil caps, these Omega- 3 fats can improve mood, brain function and strengthen your circulatory system. Both types of fish are loaded with the protein essential for any weight loss diet. Farmed salmon is usually not as expensive as wild and contains many of the same nutritional benefits. Sardines are one of the cheapest fish around — eat them alone or create low-calorie recipes featuring this fish superfood.
5. Blueberries: Blueberries are the ultimate inexpensive and fat-free superfood. Chock-full of vitamins and antioxidants, blueberries can be eaten raw by the handful, or added to smoothies, fruit salads, or as a healthy dessert topping. Use blueberries as a substitute for sugar-rich toppings for speedy weight loss.